Sealed and Conditioned Crawl Spaces
Is your crawl space humid, damp or musty smelling? Are you interested in improving the energy efficiency of your home while protecting it from moisture, mold and potential termite damage?
Sealing and conditioning your crawl space is a main component of protecting your home's comfort and air quality from the outside temperature and air contaminates. Conventionally vented crawl spaces in this region may not adequately dry out during the hot humid summer months. The high humidity levels in these crawl spaces often leads to condensation problems that can create unhealthy air quailty and cause structural damage. You can improve the condition of your crawl space and your indoor air quality while reducing the amount of energy and money required to heat and cool your home by sealing and conditioning your existing vented crawl space.
Benefits of sealed and conditioned crawl spaces typically include:
- Cooling and heating systems operate more efficiently since air ducts are within the conditioned area of the home.
- Whole house air leakage may be significantly reduced which saves money on heating and cooling while preventing unconditioned air from entering the home.
- Controlled temperature and humidity increase structural integrity and decrease the possibility of condensation and excessive dampness that may lead to mold growth.
- Odor Elimination.
- Less movement and buckling in hardwood floors due to even moisture levels year round.
- Less rodents and insects to deal with.
- Lower maintenance.
- Increased home value.
Research has proven that properly sealed and conditioned crawl spaces save significantly on energy and provide better moisture control than vented crawl spaces in this climate region.
Our sealed and conditioned crawl spaces typically include the following:
- Air leaks are sealed in foundation walls, access doors and floor above crawl space.
- Reinforced vapor retarder that covers ground, walls and piers with sealed seams.
- Rigid foam insulation with radiant barrier facing on walls.
- Insulated band/rim joists cavaties.
- Sealed Return Air Ducts
- Foundation and crawl space drains as needed.
- Moisture control with supply air from HVAC system or dehumidifier.
Sealed crawl spaces simply outperform and are more functional than vented crawl spaces. Allow our home performance specialist to evaluate (for FREE) the performance of your existing crawl space and provide valuable insight on the benefits you will gain by encapsulating your crawl space.